Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Food Success

In my ward, we have a recipe club. We decided to put up a blog for those who can't make it and for documentation. I got a recipe for shredded pork, lime rice and creamy tomatillo dressing. Yes this is all stuff they serve at Café Rio. I just had to try these recipes out for myself. So we went to the store and got all the ingredients. To make a long story short, it was sssooo amazing. They each have really distinct flavors but when you put them all together on a tortilla, it's heaven. Dan and I loved it so much, I just had to share it on my blog. 


Creamy Tomatillo Dressing
3 fresh tomatillos
½ cup mayonnaise
½ cup sour cream
1 cup fresh cilantro
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
1 pkg. ranch dressing mix
2 cloves minced garlic
1/3-1/2 cup buttermilk
1.     Combine all ingredients in blender. Chill for at least one hour. 


Shredded Pork (Café Rio Style)
5-6 lb. pork butt (bone in)
16 oz. jar salsa
½ can coke
3 tbsp. molasses
2 cups brown sugar
1 tbsp. cumin
1 tsp. salt
1. Place pork in crock pot. Cover with brown sugar, salsa, molasses, cumin, salt and coke. Cover and cook until tender and pulls away with fork.
            2. About 6-8 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low. 


Lime Rice
2 tbsp. butter
1 ¼ cups long grain rice
2 ¼ cups chicken broth
Juice and zest of 2 limes (the rice was really limey but good, we might use just one lime next time)
2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
¼ tsp. cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
1.     In heavy pan, melt butter with rice. Add broth and other ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.

2.      Add a little more fresh chopped cilantro to taste.
 

I wish I had pictures to share because I love pictures with recipes but trust me pictures can't hold a candle to how good this is. I hope you enjoy because I know we did.

P.S. I also made a Peanut Butter Oreo Ice Cream Pie. We haven't tried it yet but I'm sure I'll be posting that recipe as well.

1 comment:

  1. We make the tomatillo sauce all the time....Just so you know you can make it with just sour cream, or just mayo and it's still pretty much the same. That way you don't have to make a special trip or spend extra money on the buttermilk. And there always seems to be a lot left over. I use it to cook with leftover chicken or pork.....just chop it up and cook in a pan with the sauce. It's yummy. Yay for Cafe Rio!!

    ReplyDelete